Zynq UltraScale MPSoC Base TRD 2016.4 - Design Module 2
Return to the Design Tutorials Overview.
This design module demonstrates the FreeRTOS and application running on RPU-0, where:
- FreeRTOS boots on RPU-0
- FreeRTOS application "heartbeat" prints periodic messages on UART-1
Build Flow Tutorials
Please refer to design module 1 - PMU firmware
for instructions or skip this step if you have built the PMU firmware in a previous module.
The heartbeat application is a FreeRTOS application that executes on RPU-0 after the FSBL has finished. This application is a simple dual task application that demonstrates communication between the two tasks by printing messages to the UART1 console.
This tutorial shows how to build the first stage bootloader (FSBL) and boot image using the PetaLinux build tool.
The petalinux-config step can be skipped if this was already done in a previous module.
% cd $TRD_HOME/apu/petalinux_bsp
% petalinux-config --get-hw-description=./hw-description --oldconfig
Build the FSBL. This step can be skipped if this was already done in a previous module.
petalinux-build -c bootloader
Create a boot image.
% cd images/linux
% petalinux-package --boot --bif=dm2.bif --force
Copy the generated boot image to the dm2 SD card directory.
% mkdir -p $TRD_HOME/images/dm2
% cp BOOT.BIN $TRD_HOME/images/dm2
Run Flow Tutorial
- See here for board setup instructions.
- Copy all the files from the $TRD_HOME/images/dm2 SD card directory to a FAT formatted SD card.
- Power on the board to boot the images; make sure all power rail LEDs are lit green.
- The user can now see FSBL and PMU-firmware prints on UART-0 and prints from heartbeat application can be viewed on UART-1 which is shown in the following picture: