PetaLinux consists of three key elements: pre-configured binary bootable images, fully customizable Linux for the Xilinx device, and PetaLinux SDK which includes tools and utilities to automate complex tasks across configuration, build, and deployment. Visit the PetaLinux wiki page for more details. Refer to the PetaLinux Tool Documentation (UG1144) for installation.
Procedure to build the Linux Image
The following section provides the steps to build all the images using the petalinux tool.
Set $DCET_HOME environment variable as given below.
As per the TRD flow, by-default NON-MTS bitstream and device-tree are loaded first and thereafter the requested bitstream and respective device-tree. Hence, when building any other design, NON-MTS binaries should always be generated first and kept in SD-Card. Otherwise, it will throw an error.
4. Configure the PetaLinux project using step “a” or “b”.
a) With the pre-built XSA file located in folder <pl/<design_path>pre-built/rfsoc_trd>, depending on the design, user can select the "path".
Make sure the design_path indicates the folder in which the XSA resides.
After executing step "a" or "b", petalinux menuconfig will be displayed, change the following:
In FPGA Manager :
i. Enable "FPGA Manager".
ii. In "Specify hw directory path", add path to XSA as
iii. Save and Exit.
5. Build all Linux image components along with Evaluation Tool application:
The following steps are required as we load the design-type bitstream and design-type device-tree dynamically by enabling the FPGA-manager. Therefore, pl.dtsi is not part of packaged kernel image (image.ub) and has to be loaded separately.
The pl.dtbo gets auto generated inside $DCET_HOME/apu/rfsoc_petalinux_bsp/images/linux folder after Step 5.
6. Create <design_type> sub-directories in the sd-card directory (design_type can be mts, nonmts and ssr).
% mkdir -p $DCET_HOME/sd-card/<design_type>
7. Navigate to <petalinux-project>/images/linux/ folder. Copy pl.dtbo from this directory (rfsoc_petalinux_bsp/images/linux) to sdcard directory
% cd $DCET_HOME/apu/rfsoc_petalinux_bsp/images/linux 2% cp pl.dtbo $DCET_HOME/sd-card/<design_type>
8. To generate the design-type bitstream for each design, create a new file called bitstream.bif in the same location with the following content:
9. Create a new file called bitstream.bif in the same location with the following content:
Below are the modification in this TRD for linux-kernel, rfdc drivers, rftool, rfdc example, trd-autostart applications and device tree on top of 2021.1 petalinux released BSP. For more details on patch information please refer to AR# 75664: ZCU111 2021.1 BSP patch files .